Sunday, March 20, 2016

Wow!! I haven't written anything in four years, this needs to change!

Here is a story that needs to be told, I have had it on my heart and in my mind to tell publicly for some time, I just didn't have the right words or know of the proper venue, so I'm just going to spit it out right here. A few years ago, while I was still in property management, I used to work out nearly every day in out fitness center. One of our residents, Dr. Shadood, would be in the fitness center the same time as me. After a few months of casual hi's and hello's, we began to talk a little bit more. I was working on my master's degree and usually reading or listening to podcast as part of my study. Dr. Shadood and I began to talk a little more over time, he learned about my life and I learned more about his. He is Syrian, and left the harsh regime with his wife and other family members. He also was an author for an underground news organization in Syria, he wrote satire opposing the government as well as helped to empower the oppressed citizenry of Syria. He knew things were getting progressively worse and worked hard to get his family out of the country. Here is the thing about Dr. Shadood, he is a wonderful and caring soul, he always showed passion in his work, especially towards children and the less fortunate. I once asked him if he would consider being a guest speaker for a cultural class at the University of Evansville, he told me that sometimes people have difficulty understanding him and thought that it would not be productive. A few days later, he seemed he seemed especially morose, knowing that his newborn son has recently been ill, I asked him if everything was okay. He first responded that he was just tired, we exchanged a few words and went on with our workouts. Afterwards, I thought he seemed to have tears running down his face alone with the sweat from his workout, so I asked again if everything was okay. He told me a painful story that I hope never leaves my mind, he had a horrible incident in the ER and it was affecting him so strongly, he couldn't shake it off. He told me of a father (no names, of course) that had brought his young daughter into the ER with a very severe case of head and body lice, he had treated the young lady weeks before and was surprised to see that her condition had worsened. She asked the father if he had followed the medical advice that he had given previously only to discover that the father had not followed any of the instructions to heal his daughter. He told the father that this condition would never go away without proper treatment. Then obvious tears began to pour from his eyes, he continued to recount the story by telling me that the father began very combative, he began yelling into the hallway of the ER for them to get rid of this "sand n---er, towel head terrorist...". He told me that the hospital handled the situation properly, he removed himself from the case, but not without being shocked and personally damaged. We talked a bit more, and I told him that we have a nationalistic problem in our country that keeps us from seeing the best in others. We continued to see each other in the fitness center without speaking of the incident again. A few months later, I was checking something in the fitness center in the middle of my work day, Dr. Shadood was working out, we said our hello's, but as I was leaving the room he asked me if I had a moment. Of course I said "sure", then he told me something else that I will definitely never forget EVER. He told me that he was very proud of me, to work under stress, as I pursued a higher degree...without even knowing if it would ever benefit me finically, etc. I thanked him as I greatly appreciated the compliment. But that wasn't all, he told me that I had motivated him to further his education as well, I was shocked to even hear that from him. He went on to tell me that his dream was to become specialized as a pediatric cardiothoracic surgeon, even though he carried a heavy load as a husband, father, somewhat heartbroken doctor, he still wanted to become a better provider of medical care for others. He cared for others regardless of race, creed, religion, etc., my words not his. He eventually was accepted into a program in Memphis that would require for him to be a full-time student, an ER physician, along with being an exemplary husband and father. I congratulated him, and eventually we said our goodbyes. About a year passed without ever hearing a word from him, then on a most stressful afternoon, I had actually been sitting in my office crying, wondering why and how I had ended up in the miserable position that I had. I loved my job, cared greatly about my residents, but could not under any circumstances please the person that I answered to. I was humiliated to the point of nearly feeling worthless. Dr. Shadood walked right into my office, he bypassed my leasing agent and assistant without any concerns in the world. I gave him a hug, excused myself to step away and ensure that my face was as presentable as it could be. When I returned, we exchanged pleasantry's, his wife and family were well and good. He was still pursuing his dream of saving the lives of children with heart defects. He was very serious, as though he were on a mission. I asked him if everything was okay, his response was, or rather is a story that needs to be told. Yes, all was well with his family, his school, and his work. However, he had a life changing experience, that he wanted to be sure that I knew about, so sure that he went way out of his way to personally see me and tell me in person. After many hours of school, followed by many more hours of being on call in the ER, he fell asleep driving home and had a horrible accident. His car went off the side of the road, flipped, and left him stranded with no ability to move or even reach his phone to call for help. Fortunately for him, a lady had seen the accident and called for help once she got home. The woman had difficulty remembering where the car went off the road, which further delayed his rescue. Once the medics/rescuers arrived, they cut open his car and reached in to pull him out, he told them that his ____ was broken and that they should not pull him out the way that were were trying to. Not knowing that he was a doctor, they didn't listen to him and pulled him out in a manner that further damaged his body. He didn't really care, because he was thankful to be saved. He was taken to the ER of an affiliate hospital of the hospital and school that he worked for and attended. He was not treated with kindness, there were comments made within his ability to hear that he might be a terrorist etc. He told them that he was a doctor and to check their database, but it didn't happen, at least not for several hours. He laid there on a gurney for several hours. He made a promise to his God that he would feed a thousand people if God would get him through this. Obviously, that had happened, or he would not have been in my office that day. He also told me that he had already fed over 400 people to honor his promise to God. He wasn't in my office to offer me a free meal, I didn't need it, he was focused on feeding those in need. I thanked him again for being an inspirational person that I felt blessed to know. He reminded me of the importance of helping others, and I told him that I would do my best to do the same as long as God allowed me to be on this earth. What is the moral of this story? There is no moral, it's just another story of life, a story of awareness of the kindness of those around you that you can only experience if you strip your vision of prejudices and assumptions about others. This is a story of a blessing from God, a story that can only be seen through eyes of kindness and understand, I have been able to enjoy experiences such as this, because without really thinking about it, my nature is to see the soul of others. You might have figure that Dr, Shadood is a Christian, after all, he did pray to God for his life to be saved, I didn't say whether his God was named Allah or not, because it should not matter. Obviously, God is in reference to an Abrahamic religion, period.

1 comment: